Ep. 112 — Tiffany preps for surgery; Mandi uncovers her Nigerian roots; We talk low down payment mortgages
On today’s show, we take a question from listener Kim, who wants to know: Do you really need to put down 20% on a house?
Send us your money and career questions at brownambitionpodcast.com!
Also on the show:
- BofA drops its free checking account. No better time than the present to ditch your big bank and find free checking accounts in your area here.
- LendingTree’s new study looks at the Most Competitive Cities for Homebuyers
- Here’s that guide to low or no downpayment mortgages we talk about on the show.
We also made a couple book recommendations:
Have a question for us on finances or your career? Hit us up at brownambitionpodcast.com! You can remain anonymous, just let us know when you leave our question.
On today’s show:
- Yes, we address the S**thole comment, with a focus on some of the beautiful responses from people around the world.
- Tiffany has a health update!
- Shoutout to the cofounders of the Black Lives Matter movement who have a new joint memoir out this week: When They Call You a Terrorist
2018 is well underway and Brown Ambition is back!
On today’s show:
- Golden Globes: Queen O rocks the world with her speech on female empowerment; celebs walk the red carpet in black alongside activists like #MeToo movement founder Tarana Burke
- Holiday debt: Mandi reveals how much holiday debt Americans took on in 2017, from the latest MagnifyMoney survey.
- The most important number you can know: Your net worth! We take a question from listener Ashely about how to manage side hustles to boost her net worth and we chat about what net worth really means and why you should focus on building your net worth in 2018. You can still sign up for Tiffany’s Live Richer Challenge: Net Worth edition.
Have a money or career question?
Happy New Year to all! Brown Ambition returns with fresh episodes (and a special NET WORTH edition!) on January 9.
In the meantime, we are re-airing our most popular episode of 2017 ? our interview with our favorite money and career expert, Lynette Khalfani-Cox aka “The Money Coach”. On the show, Lynette shares her best advice on how to negotiate on the job
Lynette went from a career as a journalist to an entrepreneur commanding $12,500 speaking fees, authoring over a dozen books, and crafting financial courses for consumers and businesses alike. Her website is Askthemoneycoach.com.
Her biggest tip? Know what your minimum salary requirement is before you even walk into an interview! And she has tips on how to find YOUR perfect number on today’s show.
Then, Lynette not only answers YOUR questions about managing the cost of college, she tells you personal lessons she learned after sending off her eldest daughter to college last year.
Like many kids in college, her daughter struggled to adjust and when her GPA dropped below the 3.5 minimum for her tuition scholarship, Lynette and her family were suddenly faced with a $50,000 out of state tuition bill. She tells Brown Ambition the unique and BRILLIANT way she and her hubby decided to tackle that hurdle and shares other tough lessons she’s learned about preparing her kids for college life.
Happy holidays, BA Fam! This is our last show for 2017 but we will be BACK with fresh new episodes starting Jan. 10!
On the Brown Ambition menu for this week…
Work gripes when tools don’t work
Tiffany’s having The Big Talk with her mom about retirement
Also…guess who bought some Bitcoin!
Listener Brittany asks: Should I leave my financial job and move to NYC to become a writer?