At last! Check out brownambitionstore.com.
Ep 234 – 5 Years of Brown Ambition! (Plus Coronavirus Coping Strategies w/ Mental Health Expert Dr. Imani Walker)
Happy 5th anniversary to us…and all of you! We couldn’t do this show without you, and we are so proud of this body of work. Whether you’ve been here say day 1 or you just subscribed this week, we are so grateful for your support.
Today, we are walking down memory lane and chatting about some of our iconic episodes (Mouse in the House, anyone?!).
Then, we’re joined by a VERY special guest — Dr. Imani Walker from Bravo’s Married to Medicine. She’s here to give us some SOLID tips for staying sane during this quarantine, since it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting out any time soon. We’re going to talk about:
- What is doomscrolling, and why should you stop? (39:20)
- What’s the connection between the toilet paper shortage and anti-maskers? (41:40)
- What are the things we can do to bring back a sense of normalcy and control in our lives? (45:38)
- How do we learn to give ourselves a break? (51:15)
- The value of Black folks talking so openly about therapy (1:01:39)
- Why do we love our destructive habits so much? (1:06:45)
It was an honor to have Dr. Imani on the show, and we hope you got something out of it like we did. To learn more about her, check out:
We’re thrilled to bring you another interview this week! We’re joined by Jaspreet Singh of The Minority Mindset. Like Tiffany, Jaspreet’s story started with him falling victim to a scam (19:27). But he didn’t let that stop him and he’s now built The Minority Mindset into a YouTube channel with over 650,000 subscribers, a popular newsletter, and more.
Jaspreet has SO much wisdom to share, and we’re all so lucky to learn from him this week. We’ll talk about:
- What does it mean to have a “minority mindset” (its not what you might think) (11:52)
- What actually is passive income, and where can we start? (31:20)
- What’s a stock dividend? (35:24)
- What’s the right mindset for getting into the stock market? (37:29)
- And where does Jaspreet go to get educated? (40:22)
We have more exciting interviews coming up over the next weeks and months, we can’t wait to share them with you! In the meantime, send your questions to email@example.com or hit us up on Instagram @brownambitionpodcast
Mandi’s building a she shed (2:38), we honor the life of our King T’Challa (6:34), and Tiffany has an update on her home appraisal fiasco (28:43). At it’s core, our goal with this show is to give y’all knowledge to empower yourselves. This is stuff lots of powerful people have a vested interest in us not knowing. The revolution is to play their game and play it for YOURSELF (26:45).
And the questions we’re answering this week focus on podcasting! We feel like we’ve done pretty okay at the whole podcasting thing, so we thought we’d answer some questions from folks about how our podcast is made and how other people might go about making one of their own.
- (42:55) – How do you get your podcast on Apple Podcasts?
- Libsyn – for podcast hosting
- iTunes Connect – for getting your show on Apple Podcasts
- (45:35) – how much of your conversation gets edited out of your podcast?
- (49:30) – how much of a time commitment is your show?
- (50:18) – how long does it take to edit your show?
- (52:42) – how much did you pay to start your podcast?
- Canva – for logo and graphics making
- Audacity – for editing and mixing
- Blue Yeti – a very common podcasting mic that lots of people (including us!) use
- (55:13) – how do you get ads?
Sandy Smith is the undisputed queen of side hustles. This week she gives us everything we need to know and then some about how to get started on a side hustle to get out of debt and save for your future.
She runs the website https://yesiamcheap.com/, a personal finance blog dedicated to helping you live your best financial life. She’s also the founder of Elevate, a conference aimed at helping Black and Brown folks live better financial lives.
There are so many amazing insights in this episode, everything from Amazon, to drop shipping, to figuring out which products to sell. After you’re done listening, go to yesiamcheap.com and start reading from top to bottom. Start with this article about side hustles to boost your income during quarantine and beyond.